Why knowing your users is so important? What you need to know about your users? What research techniques you can use to understand your user?
Key Study Notes from the Course:
Some of the information you might want to know your users:
- who they are (age, gender, income, etc)
- what do they like or dislike
- behaviors when they are engaged on your website
- tasks that they perform
- frequency (how often do they perform those tasks)
- experiences (happy, frustrated?)
- things that you don’t want to include in your research
What you need to know about your users:
- General information: gender, work, income, experience, task, frequency
- Another really important thing you need to know about your users is their access requirements.
- Source of information that would be able to give you some insight who your users are such as market research, third-party report, site visits, or speak with your users
- Focus group-qualitative
- Contextual inquiries (site visit)-qualitative
- Web analytics-quantitative
- Personas-document format
The best time to understand the needs of the users is at the early end of the project. The earlier start, the better result. In addition, the most important thing you need to realize about UX process is that you need to observe your users. You need to observe them in context, in real life, performing a task that they perform.